Wednesday 24 December 2008

Looking forward

I've loved having a shed full of vegetables this autumn. That has pleased me even more than all the fresh stuff that was available all summer. So to cheer myself up I've sat down with the seed catalogues and ordered the following:

Potatoes: Sarpo Mira as my main crop again, to resist blight, plus smaller amounts of a couple of other fun looking early varieties to try out.
Onions: Red and brown. My autumn planted onions are doing very well but I've heard they don't keep as long as proper spring planted sets.
Garlic: My autumn-planted garlic is looking very sorry for itself, the soil is so heavy I think some cloves have rotted off in the ground, so I've ordered some more for spring planting ,just in case. I saw a good technique on Gardener's World for planting them: Mix in plenty of sand to the soil for drainage, then plant the cloves on ridges in the soil, so they don't sit in water. Shame I didn't think of that sooner.

Now just got to sit back and wait for it all to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment