Monday 15 October 2007

Conversation with John

Whilst I was building my compost bins, my neighbour turned up and pottered around his plot. Before long I was drawn over by the smell of fresh produce to see what he was doing. There before me, five perfect leeks, fresh, tender, and smelling delicious. What an excellent incentive to carry on with my work! Leeks are certainly on my list of things to grow.
It turns out my neighbour is called John. I’m pleased to say he seemed impressed with what I’d done so far, and said I was “doing it right.” So that’s a good start. He also pointed out the access hole in the fence where the fox comes through to sh*t on my plot. I have blocked it with a piece of board and a brick. Foxy can find another toilet.

John also let me know that we share a fairly sheltered spot, which isn’t prone to waterlogging like some others. He thought my side was a “decent bit of dirt, underneath.” He said there are a few tree roots at the top though, which extend a surprising distance into the allotments from the hedge on the other side of the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment