Monday 14 March 2011

Alliums

Varying degrees of success so far with my allium crops.

Garlic is doing well and has now received a dose of organic (blood, fish and bone) fertilizer to get it going. I've been able to keep the bed weed-free so far, but I know that won't last long once it gets a bit warmer. This year I've only grown one bed of garlic, the last two years I got carried away and had too much.

Leeks are looking healthy at home in a propagator. nice strong green seedlings are now all pricked out into individual paper pots. I've had patchy results getting decent sized leeks over the last few years, let's hope we get some big ones this year.

Onions started well but are now looking very sickly, after potting on they didn't really get going and haven't adapted very well to life in the cold frame. Not all are completely dead yet, but for the effort that is going to be required, for the production of about 10 onions, I think I will write them off shortly and reclaim the cold frame for something else.

Rather sorry looking onion seedlings


No comments:

Post a Comment