Sunday 15 March 2009

More free stuff, "tick V.G."

I thought it was time for a quick Free Stuff update, as it is the allotmentalists favourite type of stuff.

The autumn planting garlic and onions that I received from a work colleague are all doing well. I was given quite a few leftover sets and bulbs, which I bolstered with some more that I had to pay for, so enough about those for now.

Moog and I have recently had a couple of offers of free compost from family members, which is great because I need loads. I have already used up nearly all my compost from last year so any extra is very welcome.

First stop was Wise Mike's, who had too much to use in his own garden and was happy to reclaim some free space in his enormous compost heap. I bought some sturdy bags, which I carefully left at home, but luckily Wise Mike lived up to his name and had some bags ready for me to fill. The compost is lovely stuff, well, lovely once the old socks, bits of wood etc. were sifted out. It has already been used up and I hope to be off to get some more soon. Next stop will be free compost from Moog's favorite auntie, otherwise known as my big sis. So much to do, so little time.

Finally this weekend I have planted the first of my free seeds from Youfarm.org, I decided to get a few lettuces underway. Just a few this time, as I was a bit over-run with lettuce last summer. Also planted, for free, were some marigold seeds harvested from last year's flowers, all planted in free paper pots made at home from free newspapers.

All this talk of free stuff reminds me of The Good Life, they repeated the whole series on UKTV Gold last year and The Moog insisted we watch every episode. Well worth watching, I thought,(1) for jokes surrounding growing your own food, and (2) for the delightful Felicity Kendal.

Tick, V.G.! as Tom Good would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment