Tuesday 15 April 2008

The magic of television

BBC presenter Joe Swift has taken on an allotment this year and they’re showing his progress on Gardener’s World. I have to say I’m glad he didn’t choose the plot next to me – I can imagine how his new neighbours must have felt, as a BBC Gardener’s World presenter pitched up next door with a camera crew! Mind you, if he’d have had the plot next door to me, then Foxy’s hole would technically have been on his plot not mine.

I’m sorry Joe, but I have a major problem with what you call “luck.” DIY stores and garden centres don’t just “give away” metres and metres of timber perfect for edging beds to any passing allotment holder; the “it’s not because we’re with the BBC” line just doesn’t wash with me! However, I’m happy to say my shed was in much better condition than your sorry affair – Joe, for £25 you were ripped off! I’m surprised it held together at all. At least it’s a fair portrayal of setting up an allotment – some highs, some lows.

Having watched the show I’m happy with my decision to do everything by hand – it seems that virtually everyone else who takes over a new plot gets it cleared immediately by the council. I think I’ve got to know my plot a lot better doing it myself – even though I’ve got to know Luther, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment