Thursday 10 April 2008

Gardening Gift Review Slot

I've received some allotmenty presents recently. This is what Moog thinks of them:

1. The Allotment Keeper's Handbook by Jane Perrone. Moog thinks this is a bit more realistic than most gardening books, in that it's written by a journalist that likes growing things rather than a professional gardener. Jane also has a good blog which is worth a read. Full of interesting, real life anecdotes that I can identify with, for example, trying to use a storage box as shelter from the rain (see Moog's Very Blustery Day). Jane doesn't assume that you know or care what all the long words mean. A much appreciated gift, which is actually next to my keyboard as I type. In fact I couldn't put it down for ages, and Moog points out it's a nice handy pocket size to read in vet's waiting rooms etc. For some inexplicable reason my copy has half the pages printed upside down.

2. The Vegetable and Herb Expert by D.G. Hessayon. Sorry, DOCTOR D.G. Hessayon. Sounds a bit pompous to me, I work in a university and none of the academics feel the need to keep reminding everyone how well qualified they are. This rather self-importantly claims to be the best selling grow-your-own book in the world, well, Moog would like to see the sales figures to back that up, and he thinks that high sales doesn't necessarily mean high quality. There is so much information in this book about pests, diseases, and problems to send any budding allotmentalist running back to the supermarket. I will probably use this for reference but didn't like the style at all.

3. Bionic Gloves! Yes really. I was a bit sceptical at first, and Moog thought someone had bought me a pair of driving gloves as an ageist joke, but actually I used them this week and they're really good! In fact, they're so comfortable I forgot to take them off and drove halfway home from the allotment in them, thus making me look like I was wearing driving gloves ( Moog thinks, thank goodness you weren't wearing your flat cap). Very good I shall be using them again. Can someone get me a bionic spine next, please.

4. The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely. Moog thinks this is a really good book. He knows it is a good book because whenever he sees me lately I'm reading it, or making notes. The writing style is really encouraging, it's laid out well, there are good pictures (for example, of ripe beans, so you know what they look like when they're ripe - which might sound simple, but if you've never grown them...). This book has given me a few new ideas, even simple things like having a bulldog clip on a nail in the shed to keep your gloves on. As soon as I put my shed up, I'm going to do that!

5. "Vintage" stainless steel digging fork. from Wyvale. I'm quite impressed with my local Wyvale store. I've had this since Christmas and I asked for it because Moog thought that stainless steel would make working our clay soil easier. He was right. It feels really nice to use and beats my old plastic-handled cheapo fork hands down. The only criticism I would have is that the handle seems to be working loose a bit, but the last time I used it this had miraculously fixed itself so maybe I'm being a bit premature. In any case, it is covered by a 10 year guarantee so I am fairly confident. A very nice tool to have around, and really looks the part. I have the trowel and secateurs from this range too and they're both good; the trowel is very tough and after a bit of thread lock on the secateurs to stop them working loose, they have a very smooth action. Moog thinks the wooden handles are very smart, and if he had thumbs, he'd use them, too.

6. Sony wind-up radio. This smart little orange thing lets me and Moog listen to the radio at the plot, and the best thing is it never needs any batteries. Moog thinks it actually sounds really good for such a small radio, and it has two different sorts of light on it too - a flashlight, for looking for things you've just dropped when it's getting dark, and an ambient light for reading books, err, attracting moths, etc... very handy and will come home with me rather than being left down at the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment