Wednesday 22 August 2007

Number 29

Today The Moog has mainly been thinking about my new allotment. Number 29. I chose a site that was (a) nice and close to the water tap; (b) in full sun but next to the tall boundary hedge for shelter; (c) next to an active old gent who can offer me advice, and (d) not too badly overgrown. Moog thinks No. 29 will be far enough up the hill to avoid being waterlogged. He thought I should pick up the keys yesterday, so I did.

Moog thinks the first job will be to clear the whole site of the choking weeds that have arisen(personally I think he copied this idea off the old man next door on Plot 28). Luckily the site has been worked a little bit in the last couple of years so most of the weeds are not too high, there aren't any massive brambles, or overgrown trees. There is plenty of bindweed to contend with, amongst other things. Moog thinks that, on the plus side, the weeds are a good sign that the soil is fertile. I agree.

Moog thinks that although he'd like the allotment to be as organic as possible, that glyphosate weedkiller to get into the roots is going to be necessary, as suggested by my new allotment neighbour, otherwise we'll be here till kingdom come trying to get the site ready to grow things on. Looking at the amount of digging that will be necessary if I don't use weedkiller, I'm inclined to agree with The Moog.

Moog thought it would be good to order a cheap compost bin from the council, they are subsidised and only cost £9.00 including delivery. So I ordered one today. Good call, Moog. Moog thinks it will be OK to compost the weeds, when they've died back, as the weedkiller won't remain toxic once it's done its initial job and will deactivate in the soil so I can grow stuff again. Where he gets his info from I'm not sure but it sounds fairly well researched.

The other things Moog has been thinking about are where to get some black plastic or carpet to put over the ground to stop the weeds growing back, and what the best spot will be for a little shed, so I can have a cup of tea. Moog thinks that I should build my own shed, as prefabricated ones are over £100 for the very smallest. Thrifty Moog, good job I'm handy with a saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive