Wednesday 25 June 2014

Root Trainers

After receiving some sweetcorn plants from Derek I was impressed with the root trainer pots ("Rootrainers") that he had used so I went and got myself a set straight away. They consist of a set of black plastic sleeves that fold together into long square pots suitable for sowing seeds of plants that need a good root run - I've used them in the picture below for my replacement sowing of dwarf French beans. They come with a plastic propagator cover. 

Rootrainer pot with healthy French bean seedlings; strong roots go all the way to the bottom

I'm usually wary of this sort of thing as they seem a bit faddy but I have to say I'm impressed. They are easy to handle, and the shape of the pot encourages the roots to grow really healthily and straight down rather than spiralling round. They can be opened up, as in the picture, when ready for planting, and it is much easier than normal pots to avoid disturbing the roots. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment