Tuesday 11 March 2008

Colditz


My neigbour's plot has been referred to by some as Colditz due to the amount of wire fences around it, but I've always thought that looks like a good idea - why grow a row of carrots to feed the wild rabbits?


After the appearance of some little anonymous visitors to my garlic patch, I realised that protecting each individual bed would take a lot of time and money, so I've decided that a better long term approach will be to fence round the edge of my plot.


My own fortifications have begun, the cheapest supports I can find are half-round fence posts, 2.5m for £2.50 from Wickes. I was going to order wire online, as during the winter that was the cheapest source; but Spring is a different matter, because as the seasons change I notice that places like my regular supermarket have started stocking gardening supplies, so I will continue to shop around. (Asda, 10m x 0.5m chicken wire for £7.97).

No comments:

Post a Comment